Wednesday, November 24, 2004

MVC-ing Debt!

I feel terrible for Val Staples and the guys at MVCreations. I can say that because I have ordered and paid for every book they've ever produced. I'm not even a huge He-Man fan, but I found the book to be one of the more entertaining of the '80s revival books. And now, according to the latest word from Mr. Staples, the company is in debt up to their ears and committed to paying off their creators (read: artists). Now, Mr. Staples has shown himself to be a class guy throughout, and here he is again doing the same. You can read all about it here:

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22089

And while you're there, maybe shoot them a donation or better yet, hook up to their website and buy something (let's face it, that's the best way to make them money--show the product some love too!). He also cites a very very insightful article he has written on the truth and perils behind self-publishing and going this route. As many comic fans are also aspiring creators this article is a MUST-read. It told me what I wanted to know, though I'm not sure if the result is what he was looking for. I'm giving up on making it in comics... for now.

Obviously, the better route for me is to finish this novel and try and make it as a novelist first. It's just too damned hard to make a living doing comics, and I don't have enough free time around the real job to do substantial comics on an ongoing basis. Not sure if he was wanting to discourage people about the industry and the pitfalls, but I am appreciative that I now know it is a nearly impossible battle and that you'd better have a lot of money to sink into it and even then you'll probably never make it big unless you launch the next Bone or something (and even then it can take years). Be realistic, I say. Short on capital but big on dreams. Give up on comics.

The big publishers don't want to talk to you. Image is just as expensive and risky. We are the most new creator unfriendly industry in existence, so write a screenplay or a book. Then if you make it in that field you can dip your toes into comics because then maybe this inbred and failing industry will notice you. If you're not famous somewhere else or know someone they know or are related to someone they know you don't have a shot in hell of getting their attention.

So for Thanksgiving, I want to thank Val Staples for pulling the wool off of the industry. I'm not sure if Image or Diamond will be thrilled with the article as I read it, but I think it was a great service he did for the rest of us. I wish him the best of luck in avoiding bankruptcy and salvaging his dream. He's one of the good ones (and these are few and far between) and deserves your love... and support!

I know, it's not funny. Sue me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home