Tuesday, January 11, 2005

X-Boy?

My son currently reads (or has help reading) all of the Johnny DC titles and many of the Marvel Age titles and Disney titles, etc. etc. etc. He recently told me that it would be really nice if he could get an X-Men comic as he likes Wolverine (has the lunchbox and everything). Now my son is five and has never read an X-Men comic.

I have spent the last month scouring the X-titles and solicitations and for the life of me I can't find an X-Men title that I could comfortably let him read. Is it just me or is there a fundamental problem with this. They're either too mature in content or too steeped in continuity or too dark. Even Ultimate X-Men isn't exactly the light, airy fun that Marvel Age: Spider-Man and the like is. In fact, the Ultimate universe is darker than ever. Why isn't there a Marvel Age/Adventures book for the X-Men? What the hell? There are 29-odd ongoing X-related titles and not a single damned all-ages X-Book. And Jubilee doesn't count and is a mini anyway.

He doesn't want Jubilee. He wants Wolverine and all the other classic cool X-Men he knows from cartoons and toys and coloring books and everywhere but in the medium they originated. Think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home